Wednesday, March 02, 2005

In like a lion...


and hopefully out like a lamb. Of course I'm talking about the month of March. Mother Nature dumped a nice snowstorm on us on Monday night and Tuesday morning. It took me 4 or 5 passes with the snow shovel to dig out the driveway. I find it easier to tackle shoveling every few hours during a storm like this rather than waiting until there is 10-14" to shovel at once. We do have a snow blower, but it's buried right now in the yard barn in a rather inaccessible spot. Hopefully next winter we'll have it located somewhere that it can be used easily. I suppose I did need the exercise, though...

Even though there is still a good amount of snow on the ground, I've begun preparations for the springtime. I'm going to give the garden another crack this year. Hopefully it will fare better than last year's experiment in gardening (Brad had thrown a groundhog carcass into the potatoes, and followed that by felling a large tree onto the rest of the garden). I have two "mini greenhouses" inside where I've begun planting seeds for brandywine tomatoes, big max pumpkins, scarlet nantes carrots, various peppers, and Kentucky king garden beans. I will also likely try growing potatoes again, though I need to pick another spot (otherwise potato bugs may be an issue). On order are two dwarf apple trees as well. We have one dwarf apple tree towards the back of the property which reverted to something of a crabapple tree after its pollinating buddy was downed by the neighborhood black bear. I'm crossing my fingers that the new apple trees will take. The bear will likely be kept busy further up on the mountain with my plantings of blueberries, blackberries and raspberries which were started last spring.

Will any of this grow? I'm not exactly known for having a green thumb, but I'm giving it a shot!

No comments: