Monday, March 21, 2005

Congress, butt out!


I've been following the Terri Schiavo case with interest ever since we lived in Tampa. My heart has gone out to this poor woman in a vegetative state, along with her husband and family, for what everyone has had to go through for the past 15 years. Almost as upsetting has been watching the media fiasco unravel over the last few weeks. Republican politicians are hijacking this scenario for their own "Sanctity of Life" agenda. The writing is on the wall - you know what is next (psssstt..it's a-b-o-r-t-i-o-n rights). It amazes me that one family's turmoil is being used to further political gain. I suppose it doesn't matter that this case was decided repeatedly in the state courts, in favor of the husband. What a horrible precedent this will set for the future of our legal system.

The only plus of this receiving such publicity is that a lot of folks are making their wishes known to friends and family about such matters. Everyone in my family already knows that if this ever happens to me that I'd like to be dispatched into the next world ASAP. Pull the plug, throw out the feeding tube, hire someone to do the dirty work if the courts won't allow it, just put me out of misery, do whatever you need to do. It is my belief that there is more to existence than what we have on this earth, and a physical death isn't necessarily the end.

Still, the Schiavo and Schindler families have my sympathy, whatever the outcome may be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's do the same for all Alzheimer patients. They can't relate either. Stroke patients next then Down's Syndrome then those identified inutero. Most importantly you cause ... well just cause.

Anonymous said...

"Most importantly you cause ... well just cause."

Huh????