Sunday, February 06, 2005

Passport in Time volunteer archaeology project


Here are some pics from my recent archaeology volunteer project in Arizona. Passport in Time (PIT) is a volunteer program run by the U.S. Forest Service. Volunteers assist on archaeology and historic preservation projects at forests throughout the U.S. (information on the program can be found at http://www.passportintime.com). This is the 2nd PIT project I've completed. I'd like to volunteer my free time for the Forest Service as well as other agencies, as it seems I just can't get enough of archaeology. ;>

On this particular project (called 'Surveying the Bathtub Ring'), PIT volunteers assisted U.S. Forest Service archaeologists in surveying and mapping several prehistoric sites within the Tonto NF. We spent 5 days in the Tonto basin between Lake Roosevelt and Payson, and I think everyone had a great time, even if the weather wasn't always cooperative. The heritage resources staff from the Tonto NF were great, and I enjoyed meeting the other volunteers.

Surveying in Arizona was a little different than what I was used to on most archaeology projects. Walking straight transects through mesquite and various types of cactus wasn't always the easiest task, though it was sure nice to be able to see artifacts on the surface for a change! Posted by Hello

No comments: