Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Nostalgia for ancient technology


Long before Ipods came around, there were LP records. Before PSPs, we had Pong. Cell phones have also come a long way. CNN has an article about the first cell phone manufactured by Motorola in 1984 - http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/ptech/04/11/motorola.first.phone.ap/index.html

I believe my first cell phone was purchased in 1995 or 1996. I wasn't exactly on the cutting edge of technology in this regard, as they were still pretty pricey! As I recall, it was actually relatively small (not a bag phone), and had a horrible signal. Most of the Interstate 80 corridor in PA wasn't even covered. I justified its purchase by my frequent travels as an archaeological field technician. Unfortunately I eventually gave it up, as the monthly bill was too steep to afford(imagine that, a poor archaeologist)! I didn't get another cell phone until several years later.

There are reports of new cell phones coming out that have the capability for streaming media, including live TV broadcasts. I suspect that it will be just one more way for people to annoy others in public spaces. There is currently a debate about allowing cell phones on airplanes (though I'm not sure people would be able to use them very well at higher altitudes without some assistance from satellites). I hope that this is never approved. It's bad enough that we have to listen in to others' "private" conversations and ringtones elsewhere.

No comments: